Cycle Friendly Kingussie plans for 2017
With our steering group having just had it’s first meeting of the year this week, things are now getting underway with the programme for 2017.
The ride out programme is already underway, a date has been set for the Bikeathon in June, our project to map local routes continues and there will be new signage in the town very soon. There's more on the other initiatives below.
Our ride out programme
Normally January in the Highlands is cold and snowy and while this year the snow has only made a rare appearance (so far), this has allowed us to make an early start to the ride out programme. The occasional gentle Sunday ride outs are already proving to be a popular option, and it is hoped to begin the Tuesday and Friday ride outs as the light improves in the early spring. Most of our ride outs are accessible to anyone who has a bike and are not competitive or advanced but more of a social, inclusive ride. “Single track Fridays” are different and more suited to those who enjoy single track mountain biking. See our Facebook page for up to date information on where to meet and what the plans are.
Our main event this year will be the Bikeathon on the 25th June 2017, in Kingussie. This will be the second year we have worked with our charity partner: Chest, Heart and Stroke Scotland. This is a family cycle event with hundreds of people taking part from all over Scotland. Once again we plan to provide refreshments and entertainment in Ardvonie Park, including the opportunity for youngsters to have a go on our coaching park. In the past few years we have run a separate Bikefest, this year we are taking a different approach and will be mainly supporting the Bikeathon.
Cycling in and around Badenoch
Over the past three years we have been mapping routes and information about cycling opportunities in the local area and all this information can be found on this web site. We have now produced three trailhead information boards and they will be in position around the village by the spring. We are also working on a leaflet project for accommodation providers and retailers aimed at providing information for visiting cyclists.
Other projects and progress
Some other projects we are also currently working on:
- A cycle stand is being installed outside the new Council HQ at the Court House on the High Street.
- The High School is working on a coaching park/pump track project.
- We are liaising with the A9 Dualing team to look at route options for the Cycle track that will be built along the new A9.
- We have registered as a Community Cycle Hub with Cycling UK and through this initiative will be able to provide some free training including road side maintenance.
- We will be running our own evening bike maintenance evening in the spring.
- Finally Electric bikes are becoming ever more popular but before you buy your won you might want to try one out for a while. We currently have two bikes that are available to try out.
Cycle Friendly Kingussie has the simple aim of promoting cycling for residents of, and visitors to the village and the wider Badenoch area. Last year CFK were awarded a Bronze Cycle Friendly Community award by Cycling Scotland. We welcome anyone, whether it is with helping organizing or just joining in with the activities.
We hope to see you out cycling this year - you are very welcome to come and join us.